Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:41 am

Post subject: How much plat did you make while trading..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:38 pm 
Decaying Skeleton
Decaying Skeleton

Server: The Rathe
Faction: 1
Was just wondering if anyone else ever made their fortunes by just reselling items that you bought for cheaper? I know I did. It started off with a Robe of discord (from Priest of Discord) that some high level necro gave me. It had same stats as FBR and same look but I vividly remember selling it for 2kpp! This was when FBR's were still only around 200pp tops. Anyway that started my buying/selling binge and by the time I was around 45 or so I had roughly 55k and this was before velious launched. Was a nice lesson in economics when I was 15 or so hah.

p.s. Anyone from The Rathe remember Cheze? He was the mega seller in EC tunnels....

-Jaylafein
54 Necromancer- The Rathe

-Rinklybum Wigglebottom
70 Shaman- The Rathe

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How much plat did you make while trading..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:12 pm 
Skeletal Captain
Skeletal Captain

Server: Povar
Faction: 18
I made my fortunes this way as well. It started small. I decided to give up my barb shaman alt and so I sold/bartered away most of her gear that I'd accrued throughout my main character's adventures. Long story short I ended up with 4-5 items and a few hundred plat. I added plat in with items to make a trade up to a better one and so on. I ended up being able to afford my first Jade Mace. I wielded it for a few days until I hit 60 and started my Gfaymart whoring days. I made the most by selling pieces of armor/weapons I had equipped on my main and then buying them back from others at a discounted price. I pawned off my lammy, jade mace, and a few pieces of Tolan's and bought them all back 100-200 plat cheaper. After I made a fortune I started twinking and never looked back. I should have used it as college experience. ECON 1010 - Kelethin Advertising and Bartering.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:03 pm 
Plaguebone Skeleton
Plaguebone Skeleton

Server: Tarew Marr
Faction: 27
At one point, I had upwards of 500k plat.

Life was grand.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:03 pm 
Decaying Skeleton
Decaying Skeleton

Yes, definitely remember Cheze ...never handed anyone more plat in that game than him. ...think I saved and sold and farmed mistmoore forever to get like 100k plat or something to buy a manastone from him. ....wonder what I could get for that now if my character is still active, hehe. :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:27 pm 
Decaying Skeleton
Decaying Skeleton

Server: Bristlebane
I was always poor until one day I was walking around Qeynos Hills and found Pyzjn. She dropped the GBS, I sold it for 3.5k, and from there I bought low/sold high until I could buy my enchanter everything I wanted. This was probably just after Velious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 pm 
Lesser Icebone Skeleton
Lesser Icebone Skeleton

Server: Povar
Faction: 13
Much like Dordolekk, I was a Kelethin Junkie from the launch of RoK through to about Luclin. I know there were people with more plat on Povar, but I HAD to be in the top 3%.

At one point I had about 850k plat, an Amulet of Necropotence, a full suit of Cobalt and Dolan's, a Tranquil Staff, a Fungi tunic, and about 10-15 other items to sell. All of this started by me giving an alt 100pp and two stacks of batwings.

I hope to do business in G-mart again soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 am 
Skeleton
Skeleton

I rememeber farming BBCs and selling for a ton of plat. Friend and I farmed pretty much everything and we were lucky to get alot of rares on each farm day.

Couldn't say how much I made but it was enough to buy anything and not worry about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 am 
Lesser Icebone Skeleton
Lesser Icebone Skeleton

Server: Lanys T'Vyl
Faction: 3
25k is the most I ever made. But that was more then enough for what I needed to buy.

All because I was selling this shadowknight sword and a shadowknight wanted it badly and traded me a lodizal shell shield for it. Logged off. Came back next day /shout PC on lodizal shell shield .. someone whispers me "you have one its worth 25k"

Was sold to a guild mule but man I buffed the shit out of my monk who was wearin' rags.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:27 am 
Skeleton
Skeleton

Server: Veeshan
damn. i was really poor the entire time i played the game. the most money i ever had at one time was maybe 2-3k, and i played for a few years. never had bad gear, though.

the 2-3k i did have i didn't get until i was much higher level, and just lucked into a few nice items. it was easily after PoP expo tho and everyone else had outrageous gear. i got handed a few items that were really nice, but nowhere near what they would bother with. so i'd resell or just use myself.

i can't even imagine having 850k platinum. that's absolutely insane.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:15 am 
Scalebone Skeleton
Scalebone Skeleton

Server: The Tribunal
I was in an end game raiding guild, and I never really felt the need for twinks, so I never had need of cash beyond what I needed for bare necessities. The guild provided gear, potions etc. What extra gear I got from groups I either gave away to friends, guildmates twinks or newbies. I did have alts, but preferred for them to get their own gear themselves instead of twinking.

I think the most plat I have had was around 10k and the trading scene never had my interest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm 
Greater Charbone Skeleton

Server: Vazaelle
Faction: 22
This thread makes me jealous. I always tried to play the market, and I did for a bit, but for the most part I was too impatient for it and ended up making bad sales just to get it over with. I was a very poor Bard.

On the other hand, in my early days on my Monk I was pretty wealthy.. well, to me anyways. 2x Cane of the Tranquil was pretty impressive at one point at level 20.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:23 pm 
Greater Scalebone Skeleton

Faction: 4
Played Quellious as a wee lad. Back in my days of steamfont mountains (pre-RoK) i would watch high level necros / druids kill the guards and noticed that they usually left the shields and sometimes even the fine steel weaopns on the guards. So, i'd be killing around them, and then I'd go and loot the guard and sell the excess.

Well, the high levels started noticing and they offered me the chance to go sell their wares for them and take 50%. Since this meant I didn't have to hover on their corpses and vie for the loot against other urchins of the mountains, I took the deal. Saved up 250pp and finally bought a staff of the observer.

This was great, but when I went into EC a couple levels later I see someone wanting to buy it for 500pp. I was like, what the deuce? Sold that puppy faster than I could walk to the tunnel. From there, a star was born.

Long story short -- numerous trades, tricks, and markets later, i ended up with around 4 million pp. My highest character was a level 53 wizard named Korena who had best in slot non-no-drop items through velious... she just never used them.

Other all-stars on my server (who i often set up rackets with) were Tigerstyle -- i know he's on these boards, Veebee (who had the coldain skin boots/gloves on lockdown, he was the ONLY source for them and I bought guaranteed, resold for profit), and Marhiok (who was an enchanter who could do the charm in Kael to get that sweet orb). Oh, sweet sweet life. I think i was 15

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 pm 
Charbone Skeleton
Charbone Skeleton

Faction: 5
I actually had a guy who worked the EC / bazaar for me--he took his 15% cut and things went well ( i rather like playing, i hated that tunnel, and was too lazy to constantly be resetting the baz). When I exited at the end of LDON I had around 2.8 mil plat. Nothing really to spend it on really, just lord it over the have-nots :P

Be surprised how much you can sell a PoE bow for when you're the only guild with elemental access, lolmonopolies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:18 pm 

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Hated trading. I was a raider so I just raided and won my stuff. The few really nice items I sold for cheap just to get back out into the field. I didn't pla to be a salesman.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:44 pm 
Scalebone Skeleton
Scalebone Skeleton

Server: Vallon Zek
Faction: 2
I think at one point in classic I had like... 1k.

Yeah. I was rolling in the munnies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:33 pm 
Scalebone Skeleton
Scalebone Skeleton

Server: Prexus
I had just shy of 4 million when I quit. A guildie of mine who played the market alot, notes on all the buy/sell prices over time of alot of items, had close to 13 million when he quit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:12 am 
Undertaker Skeleton
Undertaker Skeleton

Server: Rodcet Nife
Faction: 33
I'm amazed at how many people had multiple millions in plat. The richest player on Rodcet Nife back in the old days was an enchanter named Alumar or something like that (Alucard... Alu something... any old RN players remember him?). He was rumored to have around 2 million plat.

The most I EVER had was when I was level 70 towards the time I quit and I was able to solo all the kunark dragons, Zlandicar, etc on my Magician. I had about 400k I think, plus another 300-400k in items on my insane twink Gnome warrior (best twink on the server! Had him stopped at 60 in full NToV / VT / AoW gear with Bloodfrenzy and Hatebringer lol - he could tank lvl 65 hard LDoNs).

Never knew there were so many millionaires! I can see why sony implemented so many plat sinks later on. Too bad none of them were expensive enough!

Fizik - 52 Necromancer on Al`Kabor (EQ Mac)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:09 pm 
Greater Icebone Skeleton
Greater Icebone Skeleton

I also remember Cheze... made a few deals with him a long time back, pretty cool guy. Always wondered how much money he had because he was trading all the time and had tons of high-end items (at all times).

Well I started off like many did begging for spell money, didn't get me far... but I eventually rolled a rogue. I believe I was in WC heading to Rivervale or from it, when some high level stopped me. He inspected me and gave me a velious berserker dagger... I think it dropped of lord kadshfakfal in Velks. Well I was ever-so grateful and used it for many levels until I decided to roll a diff. character. I decided to sell it because I was gonna roll a caster, and realized it was going for 2-4k! Got a quick buy, and years later I got up to around 300k or so just by getting equipment and selling it at a higher price. Ironically, right before I quit at around lvl 74-75 and NO ONE did fear anymore... a couple of groups of us went into fear for run and an AoN dropped. I won it and never got to sell it :/

Old Poxs: 75 Necromancer~Retired/Rathe
Oldawa: 52 Monk~Retired/Rathe
Ozzumen: 58 Paladin~Retired/Rathe

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 pm 

Making money in the way stated here has a few key factors to it.

1) You have to have a server that has been online long enough to have a large influx of Plat in the system.

2) You also have to have enough high end items that have been farmed that the high level people no longer need them.

3) You have to have a high enough server population to take advantage of the newbish person that believes his FBSS is only worth 200PP (LOL).

Now I am not saying profit will not be made in the first day of the server, I am just stating that the markups will not be quite as high as they were in the live servers.

Gwain

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:28 pm 
Greater Icebone Skeleton
Greater Icebone Skeleton

On Firiona Vie I had just shy of 10 million in plat and tons of crazy items (mask of tinkering, monk robe with fungal regrowth, class-specific pet proc weaps etc). I don't know my total net worth. Best server for trading ever because almost everything is tradeable :-) Lots of recc 60 (not requ) like Amulet of Xuzl clicks sword pet at 1, all the "pet-proc" stuff procc'ed at 1, etc.

Anyhow, I had re-roll tendency and you could only have 1 toon on your account, so I spent a lot of time in the bazaar trading (way before it went dead and everyone was afk trader mode). I did get a nice influx to allow me to trade more from selling the note you get from the Dain when you hand him the 7th shawl. It sold for 800pp to vendors and could be repeated. 1 minute intervals with sow ;)

Sephin -- There we go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 pm 
Lesser Icebone Skeleton
Lesser Icebone Skeleton

Server: Prexus
over 100k before kunark, PKT was 22k, ssoy/fbss 12k, GBS/GEBs/paw of opolla 9k in price range.

by the time the drop rate on the fungi tunic was nerfed I had about 2mil and made another 2mil off of buying fungi tunics at 15-25k and putting them on alts until the price went to 100k

at around 4.5mil I stopped caring about making money in the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:47 am 

Faction: 8
I remember retiring with around 140 000 plat...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:35 pm 
Decaying Skeleton
Decaying Skeleton

I thought myself pretty rich with about 115k plat back in Luclin era. It didn't mean much though. As an enchanter, it couldn't buy anything useful. I eventually tried my hand at trading rare loot, but soon gave up when I realized I'd be waiting in the Bazaar for inordinate amounts of time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:03 pm 
Greater Skeleton
Greater Skeleton

Server: Stromm
I traded my way up to 150kpp, which was a huge accomplishment for me. Some guy enticed my young little mind to buy an account with an epiced mage on it with the plat i had. My neighbor was intrigued by it and we decided to say yes. Got the account, had a blast for about a month, then eventually found out it was a hacked account. Lost everything. Poop. Friends don't let friends trade for accounts. Moral of the story.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:35 pm 
Lesser Icebone Skeleton
Lesser Icebone Skeleton

Faction: 12
I was never good with the economy. I think during the classic era, the highest amount of plat I ever had was 3k from farming. Since I was always out and about, I never really stuck around to learn what the prices of items were. I was a brokeded ranger!

81 Wood Elven Ranger
Bertoxxulous

Offline Profile