All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am

Post subject: Solo Spots
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:23 pm 
Hierophant Prime Grekal
Hierophant Prime Grekal

Server: Bristlebane
Faction: 10
Yeah, I know, we don't have to solo much because we are always needed, yada, yada, yada.
But what happens when we cannot find a group? Where do we go?
Let's share our favorite solo spots. Most likely they all deal with undead.

The only time I started finding it hard to find a group, was when I was supposed to be in the Dreadlands. I would shout for a group for a long time, all the while just sitting there doing nothing. Well, I found that little area with all of the houses and the skellies by the Wizard Portal and soloed like a champ there until the well of Clerics my level moved on and then I was needed again. The spawns were nice and spread out and nothing seemed too tough.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Solo Spots
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 pm 
Plaguebone Skeleton
Plaguebone Skeleton

Server: Xegony
Faction: 20
Simple answer is lower guk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 am 
Decaying Skeleton
Decaying Skeleton

There was a bit I would hunt spectres in the caves to PoF, that's about the only "spot" I had tho for soloing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:44 am 
Greater Icebone Skeleton
Greater Icebone Skeleton

Faction: 20
I used to play undead ping pong with mine at unrest, fear ftw!

I never get any faction love :*(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:36 pm 
Skeleton
Skeleton

Server: Erollisi Marr
Faction: 4
I played a High Elf Cleric during the classic era and actually did a large amount of solo leveling in old world zones, including a surprising amount of post level 30 soloing. In addition, although it is true that undead are particularly easy targets for clerics there are other old world spawns (most outdoor) which make easy targets. Although my memory is hazy considering I was in my teens and this was 10 years ago, I think this is how I did it-

8-13/14 in Unrest or Befallen in the Courtyard

14-17 in Oasis on Crocs

18-23 on Spirocs in Lake Rathe

By the time I could solo camp the 3 spot in Rathe (probably about 23-24) I moved to CT until my low 30s and then LGuk. I feel grouping during this time is critical because clerics really begin to shine as healers after lvl 24 and it is important to get a good amount of intense dungeon healing experience in before one hits a higher level. AE groups during this time in CT and LGuk are also awesome ways to practice the type of pre-healing/spam AE healing that becomes so critical later in raid and uber-mob situations.

During my mid to upper 30's I began camping the single specter spawn in the Feerrott, most likely when I got my lvl 34 spell ring. This bad boy can be pretty mean at first, however he is on a 5-6 minute timer which is ideal for single spawn soloing imo. At this point in one's soloing career it is essential to have Jboots. It is also super, super important to understand the function of the stun line of spells; it is to save you if everything else goes bad. However, with Jboots, divine intervention, root, and a couple of stuns (not to mention complete heal) it was actually very rare to get killed soloing. And of course, the highest perk of playing a cleric is that if you do die for whatever reason you can also just self-res and save yourself a huge headache and time loss.

In terms of killing the specter, I feel like I would root, nuke twice at a maximum distance, run, turn around root and repeat. Also, this spawn is close to CT and relatively close to Lguk so it is a great option if you are playing some off hours trying to grind away. I think this guy is decent EXP until 39-40.

Now, in terms of post 40 soloing there are some NPCs in the old world that work out. In particular I am recalling a few NCPs in OOT, a dwarf by some docks, guards (including the one in EC), and even by the upper 40s beetles in SolB or certain undead double/triple spawns in Guk. For outdoor, non-undead mobs in the 40s it is important to use the Stun line as much as possible but also always be ready to run with Jboots. I know for a fact that it can be done however. For indoor, dungeon spawns its better to stick with undead (even tho beetles are a nice mix-up) mainly and pick camps that have a low number of spawns and get some help breaking them up so you don't get overwhelmed.

At this point it is also important to mention that with a manastone cleric solo viability increases extremely. I believe it takes about 3 1/2-4 minutes to get to full mana, making clerics a potential solo machine in outdoor old world zones. However, I didnt have a mana stone until much later so it is not required.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:25 pm 
Icebone Skeleton
Icebone Skeleton

Server: Tunare
Faction: 2
Quinon wrote:
There was a bit I would hunt spectres in the caves to PoF, that's about the only "spot" I had tho for soloing

Definitely going to have to try that.
Long time back I saw some soloing done in Rathe Mountains. A mid 20's Cleric would just use the same tactics as lordbc described, only of course on giant skellies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:58 pm 
Lesser Charbone Skeleton
Lesser Charbone Skeleton

Server: Tarew Marr
Faction: 3
at the beginning of SoL, being end game raid geared from Velious, I could solo the entire basement in Karnors Castle for some easy xp for AA's, but still not as productive as a group.

Offline Profile